The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) is now accepting submissions for its prestigious 2024 Excellence in Asphalt Roofing Awards Program. Roofing contractors across North America can submit their best low- and steep-slope asphalt roofing projects from the past three years for a chance to win by December 1, 2023.
“ARMA’s awards program offers an exceptional opportunity for roofing professionals to showcase their hard work, promote their business, and demonstrate their enthusiasm for the industry,” stated Reed Hitchcock, ARMA Executive Vice President. “Each year, we receive numerous impressive entries reinforcing asphalt roofing as the optimal choice for residential and commercial projects.”
The highly competitive awards program covers the full spectrum of asphalt roofing systems. Winners must exhibit remarkable proficiency, demonstrating intricate workmanship and utilizing superior-quality asphaltic roofing products. Past recipients have included large-scale commercial projects and custom-built residential work. ARMA encourages contractors to submit all types of asphalt roofing projects for consideration, regardless of size or complexity.
The application process is free of charge, and interested contractors may submit multiple entries, provided the projects adhere to the specified criteria. Submissions must demonstrate exemplary skills in asphalt roofing and include detailed project write-ups and high-quality imagery.
Contractors should take note of the new judging criteria when submitting their project entries.
- I. Why Asphalt – Why was asphalt the roofing solution? What circumstances existed with the building, and what benefits made it clear that asphalt was the best roofing choice?
- II. Project Challenges – Were there any technical, operational, or environmental challenges successfully overcome through the innovative use of asphalt roofing materials? Does the project demonstrate the reliability, durability, and overall system strength of asphalt roofing?
- III. Distinction – Why is this project different from its peers? Was the quality of the craftsmanship extraordinary, and were there any circumstances, pre-existing conditions, or challenges that made it stand out? Can this project be considered a step above the rest?
- IV. Beauty – Does the project showcase an aesthetic appeal or exhibit impressive technical complexity? Does it possess visual allure or intrigue, elevating the skyline, building use, or design?
Once the submission period closes, a panel of esteemed judges convenes to evaluate and score the top asphalt roofing projects. This panel comprises a diverse group of roofing industry experts with vast knowledge and technical expertise.
The projects that score the highest according to the judges’ evaluations will receive a monetary prize of $2,000 for Gold, $1,000 for Silver, and $500 for Bronze as recognition for their exceptional performance and achievement.Aside from the medal winners, the judges may also propose specific projects for best-in-class categories at the end of the evaluation process. There will be only one winner per category, and annual acknowledgments are optional.
- In the Neighborhood – This category showcases homes that combine affordability with style. It focuses on how color and design choices can elevate the appearance of a typical neighborhood home.
- Commercial /Mixed Use – This category focuses on the complexities of flat roof projects. These projects are multifaceted, involving numerous components that work together to create a waterproof roofing system found in commercial, industrial, educational, data centers, hospitals, retail, and other non-pitched roof systems.
- Craftsmanship – Roofing is an art, and it takes a true craftsman to install roofing materials on complex structures such as steeples, turrets, and geodesic designs or large flat roofing projects exceeding 1,000 squares. These projects blend skill and artistry, showcasing intricate designs and sheer sizes. This category is open to low- and steep-slope applications.
- Technical Difficulty – This category emphasizes operational and installation challenges, including projects involving multiple penetrations, work during nighttime, skyscraper steeples, and cold weather applications. Contractors share the challenges of orchestrating the job, ensuring a safe environment, and addressing the various design aspects.
Winning companies will receive an official ARMA certificate, authority-boosting materials, national and local trade media exposure, and promotions on ARMA’s website and social media platforms. ARMA will also recognize winners during the 2024 International Roofing Expo from February 6-8 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“If you aim to increase your visibility and reputation in the asphalt roofing industry, make sure to submit your finest work before the deadline,” Hitchcock added.To enter a project into the2024 Excellence in Asphalt Roofing Awards Programor access the complete guidelines, please visitwww.asphaltroofing.org/excellence.