Name: Atlanta Condominium Complex
Contractor: Specialty Roofing & Coatings
Project size: 32,500 square feet
Building type: Condominium complex
Project Type: Re-roof
Project Duration: 11/6/19 to 1/3/20
1. The existing roof on this luxury condominium complex, a 20+-year-old tapered modified bitumen system, was failing and owners were spending a lot of money on repairs.
2. The buildings would be occupied during the re-roofing project so it was important to keep noise and odors to a minimum.
3. The roof had multiple levels, 16 skylights, and numerous AC units that would have to be raised to roof underneath.
4. The project included five penthouse patios, each with pavers that had to be removed before roofing began and replaced afterward. There were also two penthouses attached to stairwells which needed to be re-roofed as well.
Specialty Roofing & Coatings (SRC), a leading commercial roofing company serving Metro Atlanta and the Southeast, was selected to put the new roof on the condo buildings. With decades of experience in all types of roofing projects, the professionals at SRC understand how to work with all types of buildings and materials.
A Versico contractor since 2005, SRC suggested installing .080 mil white VersiWeld TPO with APEEL™ Protective Film which would be fully adhered to ½"-thick DuraStorm VSH Cover Board. This system could be installed directly over top of the existing roof, saving the time, labor, and money required to tear off and dispose of the old roof. Additionally, it was eligible for a 25-year warranty.
• DuraStorm VSH (Very Severe Hail) Cover Board is made from a proprietary blend of plastic and cellulose fiber, which is sourced from post-industrial and post-consumer waste streams. DuraStorm VSH offers unparalleled resistance to hail, moisture, and mold.
• Flexible DASH Adhesive is a two-component, low-rise
polyurethane adhesive that improves puncture resistance and helps to seal insulation joints. Flexible DASH is low-odor and VOC compliant.
• 80-mil VersiWeld TPO membrane with APEEL Protective Film eliminates the need to clean the roof once the project is complete. Durable and easy to remove, APEEL Protective Film helps save time and labor, improves aesthetics, and increases customer satisfaction. VersiWeld TPO membrane with APEEL Protective Film is ideal for re-roofing, re-cover, and new construction projects.
• CAV-GRIP 3V Low-VOC Adhesive is quick and simple to apply, easy to clean up, and provides excellent wind uplift resistance. Ideal for use on occupied buildings, CAV-GRIP 3V is low-odor and low-VOC.
• 135-mil VersiFleece TPO perimeter sheets provide superior wind uplift performance and ratings and excellent hail damage resistance, passing FM’s severe hail test.
1. The Specialty Roofing & Coatings crew started by using Flexible DASH Adhesive to adhere DuraStorm VSH Cover Board directly to the existing mod bit roof.
2. The SRC crew used CAV-GRIP 3V to adhere 80-mil TPO with APEEL Protective Film to cover board.
3. The crew used Flexible DASH to install 135-mil VersiFleece TPO perimeter sheets.
4. Then they flashed the walls/curbs and double-sealed coping joints.
5. The SRC crew used Versico’s prefabricated TPO accessories – Inside/Outside Corners, Pipe Seals, Molded Sealant Pockets, and T-Joint Covers – to complete the final details quickly and easily.