The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), proudly announces the 2020-21 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Award recipients.
For over 30 years, the Roofing Alliance has invested time and funds to help educate the roofing industry and the industry’s youth. This has been made possible through the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program, which was named for Melvin Kruger, a former president of NRCA, a former president of the Roofing Alliance and CEO of L.E. Schwartz & Son Inc., Macon, Ga. NRCA contractor and supplier members, their families and their employees are all eligible to partake in this program as long as they intend to pursue a career in the roofing or construction industries.
The Roofing Alliance awarded one new $5,000 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship to:
- Jacob James - stepson of Raymond Orman, quality assurance and field trainer, Schwickerts Tecta America, Mankato, Minn.
In addition, the Roofing Alliance renewed eight Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarships to:
- Davis Edwards - Dan Cohen Scholarship, attending Huntingdon College, Montgomery, Ala.
- Salvador Flores Garcia – Beacon Roofing Supply Scholarship, attending University of California: Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif.
- Matthew Killgore - OMG Scholarship, attending Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, Ark.
- Elaina Krumholz – Fred Good Scholarship, attending the University of Minnesota; Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Morgan Patterson - OMG 2nd scholarship, attending DePaul University, Chicago, Ill.
- John Paynter - Melvin Kruger Scholarship, attending East Carolina University, Greenville, S.C.
- Calvin Raymore - William Good Scholarship, attending the University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
- Cameron Tickerhoff – Firestone Scholarship, attending Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
“A total of $40,000 was awarded for scholarship renewals,” stated Kyle Thomas, current president of the Roofing Alliance. “We also awarded $5,000 for one new scholarship for a total of $45,000 for the 2020-21 school year. To date, the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program has awarded 131 students a total of $890,000 in scholarship awards. We are very honored to give back to the next generation of roofing professionals in this way.”
Each scholarship recipient is awarded $5,000 and eligible for renewal for up to three years of undergraduate study. This is a merit-based scholarship, and recipients are selected based on their academic record; potential to succeed; leadership and participation in school and community activities; honors; work experience; a statement of career goals and aspirations; and an outside recommendation. Details for the 2021-22 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program and the application guidelines will be available in late August, early September of 2020.
For more information on the Roofing Alliance contact Bennett Judson, the Roofing Alliance’s executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.roofingalliance.net.