Fentress Announced the Shortlist for 2019 Global Challenge
Fentress Architects announced the shortlisted entries for the 2019 Fentress Global Challenge:
- Arseniy Rabotnov Architects
- CJ Studio
- Hong Kong International Transit Terminal
- Infinity Airport
- Samantha Pires
- Six Lane City
- Vi and Del
- Yuanyuan Wu
The shortlisted entries include a wide range of responses—from highly speculative visions, to more practical adaptations of current methodologies.
Participants were challenged to re-envision the terminal building for the year 2075 and in doing so, also integrate a key component of Fentress’ design philosophy: use context to create identity. They were cautioned that context is more than an intellectual consideration of the history, or physical appearance of a place, and more than the way new will live with old. Context must draw on the senses and memories that define a place and make it unique. Context grows from community, and people respond to it.
In line with the speculative nature of the competition, participants were also challenged to improve every aspect of the airport terminal building, and to delve deeply into one or more highly relevant areas in airport architecture and the future of aviation: mobility, urbanization, globalization, technology, flexibility, security, project feasibility, and passenger experience.
Curtis Fentress, founder of the Fentress Global Challenge,said “there was no shortage of creativity this year; we saw several interesting ideas that incorporated hyperloop, driverless cars, pod systems, vertical structures, new security systems, and even space travel.”
Between now and July 29, the public is encouraged to vote for FGC’s “People’s Choice Award” winners by liking their favorite entry at Fentress Architects’ Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FentressArch/.
First place will receive US$10,000 cash and the opportunity to attend a prestigious, architectural event. Second and third places awards are also cash prizes.
The jury is comprised of aviation experts and industry professionals:
• Curtis Fentress, Founder of Fentress Global Challenge and Principal in Charge of Design, Fentress Architects
• Thomas Pellegrin, Head of Consulting – Asia & Middle East, International Air Transport Association (IATA)
• Christine Negroni, Journalist and Author of The Crash Detectives
• Charles Waldeheim, Professor and Director of Office for Urbanization, Harvard Graduate School of Design
• Ken Gidlow, Technical Advisor at Federal Aviation Administration, Commercial Space Transportation
• Dr. David Alexander, Professor and Director, Rice Space Institute (RSI)
• Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation, Port of Oakland
• Khaled Naja, Executive Vice President of Infrastructure & Development, Dallas Forth Worth International Airport.
Winners of the 2019 Fentress Global Challenge will be announced July 29, 2019.
Click link to download FULL Digital Press Kit :https://we.tl/t-Fz5gFtE4qW