CHICAGO — The Metal Construction Association (MCA) recognized its 2013 Chairman’s Award recipients at METALCON International Oct. 1-3 in Atlanta. The Chairman’s Awards are an annual designation given to outstanding building projects involving MCA member companies. The awards honor innovation and creativity while showcasing how metal products help achieve exceptional building designs.
Recipients for these awards are selected each year from projects submitted by MCA members to Metal Architecture Magazine’s annual Design Awards Program. This year, the honorees were chosen by a panel of professional architects. The panel consisted of:
• Elaine Fitzgerald, AIA, CCS, is a registered architect with experience in commercial, higher education and high-rise building design. She currently works as an architectural specifier for ArchiTech Consulting Inc. and is an active member of the Construction Specifications Institute and Landmarks Illinois.
• Andrew M. Koglin, AIA, president of OKW Architects, Chicago, has more than 25 years of experience in residential, retail, institutional and office projects. He currently directs OKW’s retail and mixed-use project group and manages the day-to-day operation of the firm.
• Gabriel Wilcox, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C, design director at Legat Architects, Chicago, works extensively with metal and, according to the Legat website, integrates his technical knowledge of sustainable strategies into his design solutions. He considers himself a generalist and strives to blend all architectural factors-site, culture, context, climate, budget and safety into a cohesive work.
The MCA Chairman’s Awards were given in 9 categories: Commercial/Industrial; Education-Primary and Secondary Schools; Education-Colleges and Universities; Municipal; Institutional; Roofing; Residential; and Overall Excellence. MCA also honored two projects with an Honorable Mention Award.
The projects that received respective 2013 Chairman’s Awards were:
• Overall Excellence: Central Arizona College Maricopa Campus, Maricopa, Ariz. MCA members involved in the project include Metal Sales Manufacturing Corp., Precoat Metals, Steel Dynamics, U.S. Steel and Valspar.
• Commercial/Industrial: Cirrus Logic Building, Austin, Texas. Umicore Building Products USA Inc. is the MCA member manufacturer.
• Education-Primary and Secondary Schools: Sherwood Middle School, Shrewsbury, Mass. 3A Composites USA, ATAS International and CENTRIA are the MCA member manufacturers.
• Education-Colleges and Universities: MassArt Student Residence Hall, Boston. The MCA member manufacturer is 3A Composites USA.
• Municipal: FDNY Fireboat Firehouse, New York. RHEINZINK America Inc. is the MCA member manufacturer
• Institutional: The Tower Hospital at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago. MCA member manufacturer is 3A Composites USA and MCA member fabricator is Sobotec Inc.
• Metal Roofing: VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 3A Composites USA is the MCA member manufacturer.
• Residential: Private Residence, Takoma Park, Md. MCA member manufacturer is ATAS International.
The following projects were acknowledged with an Honorable Mention Award for Exceptional Choice of Material and for Innovative Detailing, respectively:
• Stepping Stones Preschool, Wyncote, Pa. ATAS International is the MCA member manufacturer
• Williams Selyem Winery, Sonoma County, Calif. MCA member manufacturer is RHEINZINK America Inc.
For more information, visit www.metalconstruction.org.