The American Institute of Architects' (AIA) Committee on Architecture for Education (CAE) is recognizing 11 projects for state-of-the-art designs of schools and learning centers.
Complete details for each project are available on AIA’s website.
Selected projects must meet a host of criteria, including enhancing learning in classrooms; balancing function with aesthetics; establishing a connection with the environment; being respectful of the surrounding community; demonstrating high-level planning in the design process; and integrating sustainability in a holistic fashion.
- Belmont Day School Barn, Boston | Utile, Inc.
- Bluestone Elementary School, Harrisonburg, Virginia | VMDO Architects
- Environmental Nature Center Preschool, Newport Beach, California | LPA Design Studios
- Home Building at Thaden School, Bentonville, Arkansas | Eskew+Dumez+Ripple
- Lafayette College Rockwell Integrated Sciences Center, Easton, Pennsylvania | Payette
- The Phil and Penny Knight Campus for Accelerating Scientific Impact at University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon | Ennead Architects
- Flight 93 Visitor and Learning Center, Denver, Colorado | Paul Murdoch Architects
- Grant High School Modernization, Portland, Oregon | Mahlum Architects
- Minnehaha Academy Upper School Reconstruction, Minneapolis | Cuningham Group Architecture
- Pace University Student Landscape, New York | FXCollaborative
- Virginia Wesleyan University Greer Environmental Sciences Center, Virginia Beach, Virginia | VMDO Architects
Visit AIA’s website for more information on the Education Facility Design Awards.