Celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Building Seismic Safety Council, the National Institute of Building Sciences recently recognized the leaders, who have provided significant direction to the BSSC mission, contributing to its success.
The council has coordinated the efforts of federal agencies, the building industry, and thousands of subject matter experts to develop 10 editions of the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program Recommended Seismic Provisions. These recommendations have served as the foundation of the nation’s seismic standards and model building codes.
“Each award recipient dedicated time, hard work, and expertise to our organization for the betterment of the nation,” said Lakisha A. Woods, CAE, President and CEO of NIBS. “Their efforts and knowledge sharing have improved building performance, minimized the damage from earthquakes and saved lives.”
BSSC Leadership Award Recipients
The BSSC Leadership Award recognizes individuals and organizations that have provided significant leadership to BSSC’s mission of enhancing public safety by fostering improved seismic planning, design, construction and regulation in the building community. The award is bestowed to those who have distinguished themselves in technical positions, in leadership, and as leaders in government and private engineering organizations. The 2021 award recipients are:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration-NEHRP Program: Edward M. Laatsch, Director, Safety, Planning & Building Science Division; Michael Mahoney, Senior Geophysicist; Mai (Mike) Tong, Senior Physical Scientist
- James R. Harris, President, J.R. Harris & Company
- Loring A. Wyllie, Jr., Senior Principal, Degenkolb Engineers
- William Holmes, Senior Consultant, Rutherford + Chekene
- Ronald O. Hamburger, Senior Principal, Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
- David R. Bonneville, Senior Principal, Degenkolb Engineers
BSSC Excellence Award Recipients
The BSSC Excellence Award recognizes individuals who have made a significant difference in advancing seismic design and construction and improving the safety and economic viability of building systems. Whether it is for significant code change provisions or the advancement of engineering and building science, or long time of outstanding service, the BSSC Excellence Award is bestowed to those driven to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. The 2021 award recipients are:
- Robert E. Bachman, Principal, R E Bachman, Consulting Structural Engineers
- Kelly Cobeen, Principal, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- C.B. Crouse, Principal Engineer & Vice President, AECOM
- J. Daniel Dolan, Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University
- S.K. Ghosh, President, S.K. Ghosh Associates LLC
- John D. Gillengerten, Deputy Director, Office of Statewide Health and Planning and Development (Retired)
- R. Joe Hunt, Chief Civil, Structural, Architectural Engineer for Consolidated Nuclear Security LLC (Retired)
- Charles A. Kircher, Principal and Owner, Charles Kircher & Associates
- E.V. Leyendecker, Scientist Emeritus, U.S. Geological Survey
- Philip Line, Senior Director, Structural Engineering, American Wood Council
- Harry W. Martin, Director, Construction Codes and Standards, American Iron and Steel Institute (Retired)
The Building Seismic Safety Council was established in 1979, as one of the most important initiatives under the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program. The council’s mission is to enhance public safety by providing a national forum that fosters improved seismic planning, design, construction and regulation in the building community.
For more information about the council visit https://www.nibs.org/bssc.