The International Institute of Building Enclosure Consultants (IIBEC) conducted their first-ever “virtual” Annual Meeting of the Members on March 30, 2020. The organization has been holding this meeting every year for nearly 40 years at their Annual Convention and Trade Show, but this year’s meeting was unprecedented.
First, because of restrictions on travel and gathering as a result of the COVID-19 virus and the concomitant postponement of the association’s convention, 2020 marked IIBEC’s first-ever “virtual” Meeting of the Members. Presenters spoke from their respective homes and offices, connected only by the Internet, communicating through sound and pixels. Members were able to type questions into a chat box, allowing them to interact for the traditional question-and-answer portion of the meeting.
Second, this meeting boasted the largest attendance—by far—of any IIBEC Meeting of the Members, with 481 total participants.
Finally, the first female was elected to the Executive Committee, in the person of Amy Peevey, who is this year’s Secretary/Treasurer. This comes on the heels of the first-ever female Board member, Jennifer Hogan, who was elected as Region VII director in 2019.
Immediate Past President Bob Card voiced his appreciation for the continued participation of IIBEC members. “Still trying to come to terms with this strange season, I am amazed at the turnout for the somewhat unorthodox meeting of the members and grateful for the many encouraging comments from members.”
First Vice President Ted Sheridan said, “We have received a fresh shot of adrenaline from our new Board members, Amy Peevey and Burt Carver. They are both energetic IIBEC veterans with an ear to the needs of our members and a history of IIBEC involvement.”
Second Vice President Chris Giffin echoed and expounded on this sentiment, stating, "I am looking forward to working with the first female IIBEC EC member and President Hinesley during these awkward and difficult times, and feel assured that their leadership will allow us to come out on the other side of this better than when we started."
New IIBEC President Scott Hinesley expressed excitement about his new role. “With new CEO Brian Pallasch at the helm of the amazing IIBEC team and new team members on the Board, I am looking forward to leading the charge that will see our association emerge stronger on the other side of these significant challenges.”
The full board is as follows:
- President – Scott M. Hinesley, RRC, PE, of REI Engineers
- First Vice President – Edward A. Sheridan, RBEC, RRC, REWC, RWC, PEng, of Fishburn Sheridan & Associates Ltd.
- Second Vice President – Christopher Giffin, RRC, AIA, of Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Secretary/Treasurer – Amy Peevey, RRO, REWC, PE, CDT, of DeSimone Consulting Engineers
- Immediate Past President – Robert Card, RBEC, RRC, RWC, REWC, REWO, of Wetherholt and Associates, Inc.
- Region I Director – Michael Violette, RRC, PE, of Violette Engineering
- Region II Director – Chris Dawkins, PE, of Beech Consulting Inc.
- Region III Director – Gene Keeton, of KDENT Inc.
- Region IV Director – Neal Johnson, RRO, AIA, of Neal Johnson, LLC
- Region V Director – Szymon Zienkiewicz, RRC, RRO, PE, of Larsen Zienkiewicz, Inc.
- Region VI Director – Burt Carver, RRC, RRO, of Apex Building Sciences Inc.
- Region VII Director – Jennifer Hogan, RRO, LEED AP, CPHC, of Pretium Engineering, Inc.