DuPont Partners with Habitat for Humanity
DuPont, a global science and innovation leader, brought the promise of its recently announced renewed corporate partnership with Habitat for Humanity to life this month with dozens of DuPont employees participating in key build projects across the country. Dedicated to bringing homeowners’ dreams to life, DuPont provides significant volunteer support and donates energy-efficient building products for renovations and community builds, which have supported the rehabilitation of more than 50,000 homes in nearly 20 countries worldwide.
“Providing safe, affordable shelter is critical to many communities across the globe and we are proud to collaborate with Habitat for Humanity International to help them build efficient, sustainable homes,” said Tim Lacey, Global Vice President & General Manager, DuPont Performance Building Solutions & Corian Design. “By donating energy-efficient materials that deliver increased thermal barriers and provide air and moisture protection around gaps and cracks, we’re helping residences lower energy bills, achieve healthier living environments and provide more comfortable living conditions.”
As a testament to the company’s ongoing commitment to creating healthy environments for people to live, work and play, DuPont’s Performance Building Solutions business participated in this year’s 36th annual Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project. On Oct. 6, 2019, 17 employees, in addition to hundreds of Habitat for Humanity volunteers from across the country, joined former President Jimmy Carter and his wife in the north Nashville neighborhood of Park Preserve to build 21 affordable homes in one of the city's five affordable housing communities. In its largest build to date, volunteers worked alongside Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks, Nashville locals and longtime Habitat volunteers who have joined the Carters' mission. Since 1984, President and Mrs. Carter have become tireless advocates, active fundraisers, and some of the most hands-on construction volunteers, renovating and repairing 4,331 homes total.
In addition to large community builds like Carter Work Project, DuPont Performance Building Solutions also recently supported Habitat for Humanity’s Home Builders Blitz, which brings together professional homebuilders from all over the United States every year for one shared purpose – to build, repair and revitalize safe and affordable housing for communities in need of a decent place to call home. As a 2019 Silver sponsor, employees participated in this year’s annual week-long project where thousands of professional homebuilders volunteered across the nation, working alongside Habitat homeowners.
Further serving its communities, work continued with local organizations, businesses and volunteers within the company’s second largest site, in Midland, Michigan. Hosted by Midland County Habitat for Humanity, each year the annual Neighborhood Revitalization event empowers residents and homeowners to revive their own neighborhoods to enhance their quality of life. With more than 275 homes reconstructed over the last 10 years, the effort focuses on three main areas: Home Preservation, Critical Home Repair and Weatherization. As part of this year’s Neighborhood Revitalization,15 houses were repaired with roof repair and replacement, driveway removal and replacement, gutter work, screen door replacement, painting and landscaping, amongst other projects.
As part of the longstanding partnership with Habitat for Humanity, DuPont Performance Building Solutions supports builds with various products which enable more sustainable homes:
- Styrofoam Brand Insulation is the original extruded polystyrene foam providing thermal insulation properties to a building structure which leads to better temperature stability inside the home.
- Great Stuff products are designed to seal gaps and cracks in and around the home creating a more energy efficient interior by eliminating leaks that account for up to 40 percent of heat loss in a home.
- Tyvek Homewrap is a unique, breathable housewrap that protects against harmful, damaging wind and rain that penetrates the exterior cladding by protecting against air and water intrusion.
- Froth-Pak Foam Sealant is a low pressure, two-component foam used by professional contractors, that fills cavities, penetrations and cracks.
- Weathermate Brand Housewrap solutions include a range of construction tapes and housewrap. WEATHERMATE solutions are durable with tapes featuring excellent adhesion properties helping protect homes and buildings against moisture and air intrusion.