Connectors & Fasteners for Mass Timber Construction
Simpson Strong-Tie, the leader in engineered structural connectors and building solutions, has launched a comprehensive offering of code-approved connectors and fasteners to serve the growing North American mass timber construction market. Backed by a robust inventory and distribution system, along with first-rate service, support, and training, the collection of versatile, high-performance products will allow for design flexibility while enabling mass timber projects to be built stronger, faster, and more easily than ever.
First introduced in the 1990s, cross-laminated timber (CLT) and other mass timber products provide the enhanced rigidity necessary for creating larger and taller wood-framed buildings. Recognized as a green building product for its ability to sequester carbon, mass timber is proliferating as specifiers seek sustainable structural building materials and builders embrace the efficiency and reduced waste of factory-based construction solutions.
Rigorously tested and designed to provide strength across a wide range of designs, Simpson Strong-Tie mass timber fasteners and connectors are ideal for CLT construction, and will be offered through an established national network of construction suppliers for what-you-need, when-you-need-it availability.
“With over 60 years of leadership in structural engineering, Simpson Strong-Tie is now proud to offer smart solutions for mass timber,” says Randy Daudet, market segment manager for offsite construction and new business at Simpson Strong Tie. “In addition to a nationwide supply network ready to deliver high-performance connectors and fasteners at a moment’s notice, Simpson Strong-Tie is looking forward to bringing our tradition of training, service, and boots-on-the-ground sales and technical support to this unique and fast-growing construction segment.”
Key products launching under the Simpson Strong-Tie mass timber collection include the following:
- The Strong-Drive SDWS Timber structural wood screw is designed to require less torque to install than comparable fasteners. A large-diameter washer head eliminates the need for a separate washer; a serrated thread reduces splitting and damage; and a SawTooth point ensures fast starts, reduces installation torque, and eliminates the need for predrilling in most applications. The SDWS Timber screw will be available in both interior and exterior coatings for a wide variety of mass timber applications.
- The Strong-Drive SDCF Timber-CF screw is a structural fastener available in a variety of lengths and designed for mass timber construction and general interior applications. A large, flat head with underhead nibs makes for clean countersinking. The fully threaded shaft and proprietary point combine to provide fast starts and excellent holding power.
- The Strong-Drive SDCP Timber-CP screw is a partially threaded structural fastener engineered to pull structural members together with superb holding power and high pullout resistance. The SDCP features a flat head and underhead nibs for countersinking, along with a Type-17 point for fast starts and reduced installation torque.
- The Strong-Drive SDHR Combo-Head screw is a partially threaded structural fastener for metal-to-wood applications, and is designed to pull structural members together while providing excellent connection strength. A unique “combination” head drives with either a hex driver bit or a T40 6-lobe driver bit. Its Type-17 point provides fast starts and low-torque driving.
- The CBH Concealed Beam Hanger is specifically designed for precise-length glulam applications, and provides a +/– 1/32" beam-length tolerance at each connector, making it easier to crane into place than concealed hanger designs that use machined aluminum.
Additional innovations making up the Simpson Strong-Tie mass timber launch include the MTW45-8 mass timber angled washer for use with a wide variety of connection plates, and the MDSS96 surface spline designed as an ideal solution for CLT diaphragms.
To learn more about how Simpson Strong-Tie can improve your next mass timber job, visit go.strongtie.com/masstimber