Global architecture and design firm Perkins Eastman is thrilled to announce the elevation of 131 members of its staff this year. With their collective passion, out-of-the-box thinking, and undoubtable skill, these talented individuals not only represent the best of Perkins Eastman, but the best of the architecture and design industry.
“What makes Perkins Eastman so special is our PEople,” says Shawn Basler, AIA, co-CEO and executive director of Perkins Eastman. “Each of these individuals exemplifies our ‘Human by Design’ ethos, displays a passion for design excellence, and represents a bright future. Their continual dedication, hard work, and talent is impressive, and we couldn’t be happier to recognize them in this way.”
Perkins Eastman celebrates the following individuals who have been promoted to the roles of Principal and Associate Principal:
- Principal Jason Abbey, AIA, LEED AP, is an expert project manager and innovative architect with more than 25 years of experience in resilient and sustainable large-scale urban and waterfront design.
- Principal Douglas E. Adams, AICP, WEDG, combines 20 years of planning experience with an unwavering commitment to delivering sustainable, resilient, and equitable transportation, infrastructure, and transit-oriented community planning and development.
- Principal Fawzia Ahmedali, AIA, LEED AP, utilizes more than two decades of cross-disciplinary expertise in architecture, interiors, and master planning across a diverse and global portfolio of commercial, residential, mixed-use, and educational projects.
- Principal Rachel Birnboim, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, is a co-managing principal of the New York studio, a meticulous project manager focused on healthcare and institutional architecture, and a collaborative team player and leader with 24 years of dedicated professional experience.
- Associate Principal Christian Calleri, AIA, with more than 20 years of design expertise and a deep passion for public architecture, boasts a varied portfolio of federal, institutional, commercial, and urban design work for both large- and small-scale projects.
- Principal Kimberly Coffeen, AIA, LEED AP, ALEP, leverages 26 years of experience in planning and designing learning environments that reflect the client’s educational vision to create spaces where students can not only learn, but thrive.
- Principal Shannon Cole, NCIDQ, is an experienced designer and project manager whose portfolio of work includes workplace, higher education, K-12, and healthcare projects. She draws on nearly 20 years of expertise in architecture and interior design.
- Associate Principal Melissa DeStout, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, combines a passion for health and wellness with a love for nature, along with 12 years of design experience, to create sustainable environments for older adults across the country.
- Associate Principal Trish Donnally leads Perkins Eastman’s Communications team with a keen eye for detail, an inherent passion for storytelling, and more than 25 years of dedicated experience.
- Associate Principal Kerrie Frymire, CPSM, manages the firm’s K-12 practice as a strategic business development and marketing specialist with more than 15 years of expertise and a passion for healthy learning environments that look to the future.
- Principal Salema Gumbs leads Perkins Eastman’s Human Resources department with a passion for employee engagement, a collaborative spirit, and 20-plus years of hands-on experience in developing and instituting new policies to enhance HR operations, ensure legal compliance and implementation of the firm’s mission, and talent strategy.
- Principal Derek Hamilton, Assoc. AIA, NOMA, with more than 30 years of expertise, leads the technical coordination and project management for a variety of project types, including healthcare, academic, hospitality, science and technology, civic, justice, and retail.
- Principal Soo Im, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB, utilizes two decades of experience in senior living design to create resident-focused environments for independent and assisted living, memory support, skilled care, senior centers, and intergenerational communities.
- Associate Principal Heather Jauregui, LEED AP BD+C, O+M, CPHC, applies a passion for research and architecture, along with a decade of experience, to her integral work as the firm’s director of sustainability, acting as both a firm-wide resource and an internal consultant on key projects.
- Associate Principal Tuan Khuu, AIA, LEED AP, leverages his thorough project management skills and 25 years of professional experience to lead projects with multiple teams across a variety of practice areas, including education, senior living, workplace, hospitality, residential, and mixed-use.
- Associate Principal David Larson, AIA, is a practiced project manager who applies a cohesive and thoughtful approach to his healthcare and science and technology work from project initiation to final execution, thanks to three decades of experience.
- Principal Iramis Luz Audet, NCIDQ, LEED AP, is co-leader of the firm’s workplace practice, possessing a keen ability to develop long-term national client relationships, a thorough and insightful approach to team leadership, and 20-plus years of dedicated expertise in workplace design and strategy.
- Principal Cristian Mare balances an inherently inquisitive nature with a love for creative design solutions, along with 20 years of experience, to work on a variety of project types around the globe, including healthcare, higher education, cultural, K-12, government, and large-scale mixed use.
- Associate Principal Jonathan Martin, AICP, leverages 25 years of urban design expertise to create comprehensive community plans and manage complex projects.
- Principal Jennifer McDermott, IIDA, employs a holistic approach to interior design that satisfies the client’s needs while creating signature, one-of-a-kind spaces. She mines more than two decades of experience with senior living, hospitality, and residential projects.
- Associate Principal Peggy McGrath is Perkins Eastman’s indomitable director of operations, thanks to her quick ability to tackle challenges that arise among the firm’s 24 studios and more than two decades of operational experience.
- Principal Valerie Mutterperl, AIA, LEED AP, applies more than 25 years of professional experience to design large-scale senior living, healthcare, residential, hospitality, and education projects that advance the efficiency of the built environment.
- Associate Principal Takehiro Nakamura, LEED AP BD+C, is a project management expert who is well-versed in all aspects of the design process, holding nearly 20 years of experience with residential, hospitality, and workplace projects around the world.
- Associate Principal Eric Pan, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, utilizes 16 years of design expertise to engage with consultants, agencies, and clients across an array of practice areas, including K-12, government, and healthcare.
- Principal Andrés Pastoriza, AIA, LEED AP, applies a thoughtful and research-driven approach to design, along with 25 years of experience as a designer and project architect, to craft innovative solutions shaped by their context and their users. His work spans all scales and typologies, including cultural, science and technology, civic, and master plans.
- Associate Principal Emily Perchlik, AIA, LEED AP, balances more than a decade of design expertise with a passion for the outdoors to create healthy and mobile communities that prioritize movement.
- Principal Ramu Ramachandran, AIA, LEED AP, with 25 years of experience in senior living, education, campus master planning, and large-scale mixed-use design, leads and manages teams through transformations with a focus on learning, collaboration, and sustainability.
- Principal Daena Tamborini Padilla, AIA, LEED AP, WELL AP, leverages over 15 years of dedicated experience in senior living, healthcare, education, and commercial project work to serve as co-leader of the DC studio’s senior living practice.
- Principal Abbas Uddin leads Perkins Eastman’s Information Technology team with an inspired commitment to learning the latest technological advances, a forward-facing leadership approach, and more than two decades of professional experience.
- Associate Principal Kathryn Wagner, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, utilizes over 15 years of design experience in both new construction and renovation work to develop an expansive portfolio that spans a variety of practice areas, including higher education, K-12, and government.
- Principal Phil Walker, AICP, LEED AP BD+C, is an award-winning designer and urban planner with more than 25 years of professional experience whose domestic and international projects have included complex mixed-use communities, brownfield redevelopments, urban resiliency and waterfront planning, and sustainable urban master planning.
- Principal Steven Wright, AIA, LEED AP, NCARB, leverages 35 years of design expertise, a knack for building client relationships, and a comprehensive skillset in the design and management of complex projects among a broad range of practice areas, including healthcare, higher education, cultural, commercial, and residential.
- Associate Principal Matthew Young, AIA, LEED GA, is a project manager and job captain with more than a decade of dedicated professional experience in the planning and design of healthcare and corporate facilities.
Elevating Senior Associates and Associates
Perkins Eastman also recognizes the well-deserved promotions of 45 individuals to Senior Associates and 53 to Associates. The firm celebrates and thanks each of them for their valuable contributions.