Pilkington North America, Inc. Research and Development Facility Goes Solar
NORTHWOOD, Ohio - Pilkington North America, Inc. is going solar, thanks to a new one-acre solar array project currently under construction at its research and development center in Northwood. Hull & Associates, Inc. has partnered with Pilkington North America, Inc. to develop and install a 250 kW ground-mounted, solar photovoltaic energy facility on a brownfield site originating from the company’s former East Toledo float plant. This solar energy facility will be the largest private sector, behind-the–meter, renewable energy project in Ohio.
“This project highlights the NSG Group’s commitment to responsible stewardship and the solar energy market both locally and around the world,” said environmental manager Cliff Fleener.
The development will use solar panels incorporating the NSG Group’s solar energy glass products, supplied by First Solar. The Pilkington brand name has been closely associated with the development and production of glass products since its founding in 1826. Its acquisition by Nippon Sheet Glass Co. Ltd. in 2006 has added to its resources and commitment to quality and excellence, as well as its expertise in on-line coating technology used for the production of glass used in solar applications. Today the combined company, the NSG Group, is the worldwide leader of high quality, high volume solar energy glass products, with manufacturing sites all over the world. The Northwood solar energy facility will supply approximately 12 percent of its power requirements, while reducing annual electric consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. The new solar facility is expected to be fully operational by the beginning of February.
The project is being managed by Hull Energy, LLC, a newly formed renewable energy project development and asset management company. An affiliate of Hull, Hull Energy has been established to develop, operate and own renewable energy projects for municipal, commercial and industrial clients.
Development of the $1.5 million solar energy project was partially supported by a $680,782 grant from the Ohio Energy Office through theAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act’sState Energy Program.