Allen Lancaster, the current president of the National Roofing Contractors Association, updated Best of Success attendees on NRCA. Lancaster is the president and CEO of Metalcrafts, Inc., in Savannah, Ga., and has over 30 years of experience in the roofing industry. His active involvement in the roofing industry led him to become the President of NRCA for 2010-2011.
“In a tough economy, there’s no shortage of issues,” he said. “My hope for the year 2011 is that we finally get a Congress that is business friendly.”
Key industry trends include a growing emphasis on environmentally friendly products and systems, said Lancaster, and the NRCA is leading the way. “The industry continues to embrace green technology,” he said. The NRCA activities on this front include:
- A new manual NRCA photovoltaic (PV) manual and a PV manual for building owners and designers.
- The revised NRCA vegetative roof manual.
- The possibility of a Depart met of Energy grant to test rooftop PV systems.
- A PV certification program for roofing contractors named RISE (Roof Integrated Solar Energy), in development in conjunction with the Center for Environmental Innovation in Roofing (CEIR).
- Discussions with Penn State University about developing PV training programs.