Credits: 1 AIA LU/HSW | 1 RCI CEH | 0.1 IACET
Retrofit Roof Systems | A Fundamental Background of Retrofitting Existing Buildings with Metal Roofing
This course defines retrofit roofing systems and will review the opportunities, options, advantages—particularly when coupled with metal roof materials—and requirements of successful retrofit systems. The primary intent of this webinar is to provide fundamental knowledge of retrofitting existing buildings.
Having this understanding will assist the design professional in the preparation of bid documents (plans and specifications) that will result in comparable bids. A properly prepared set of bid documents will narrow the competitiveness of manufacturers submitting proposals and ensure the building owners and design professional that the project is constructed in accordance with good structural engineering practices. The key benefits are what makes retrofit so inviting to an owner. By reduced maintenance expenses and improved energy efficiency, the project can begin returns on investment on day one.
- Explore the various applications related to retrofitting existing and new buildings with metal framing and roofing material, as well as the attributes leading to economical and sustainability benefits.
- Describe the sustainable elements involved in adding a cool roof on a metal framing system to shade the existing structure and add insulation to increase overall building energy efficiency.
- Examine the proper design and layout of retrofit framing systems to ensure existing structural systems are loaded properly, and review recommended testing methods to determine if the existing building is a viable candidate for retrofit.
- Identify the importance of a proper plan and the role that expertly detailed bid documents play in a successful project, as well as what to inspect and survey prior to starting a project.
- Analyze the aesthetic and sustainable construction benefits of metal roofing retrofits versus conventional re-roofing methods, including membranes.